Dr. Dena Grayson received a high quality K-12 public school education right here in Central Florida, and she was the first woman in her family to graduate from college, earning an undergraduate degree (B.S.) from the University of Florida (Phi Beta Kappa). She then earned a medical doctorate (M.D.) and research doctorate (Ph.D.) from Washington University.
Civic Organizations (limit 75 words)
Dr. Grayson is a member of the following organizations:
League of Women Voters
League of Women Voters of Orange County
League of Conservation Voters
Florida Conservation Voters
Human Rights Campaign
An estimated 300,000 people have died from gun violence between 2004 and 2014. Do you believe the Second Amendment leaves any room for limits on gun rights? If so, please outline what those limits should be. (limit 150 words)
Dr. Dena Grayson has treated gunshot victims, and she will fight for the following comprehensive gun safety measures so that we can keep our neighborhoods and schools safe:
1. Universal background checks: close the “gun show loophole” and require mandatory background checks for EVERY person who wishes to purchase a firearm.
2. Assault weapons ban: enact a nationwide ban on the sale and possession of assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines that allow a shooter to kill or maim scores of people in just a few minutes.
3. Close the terrorist watch list gap: prohibit the sale or possession of guns by those on the government’s terrorist watch lists.
4. Mandatory licensing of gun owners: require every person who wishes to possess or purchase a firearm to hold a gun license. To get a gun license, the person must complete a gun safety-training course that includes live firing, demonstration of safe-handling procedures, and a written test of firearm laws. Every gun owner would need to register all firearms and notify the authorities if a weapon is lost or stolen.
5. Remove the ban on federal funding of gun violence research: in order to prevent the next Orlando, Newtown, Aurora, or other attack, we need to allow the federal government to fund research on gun violence to better understand root causes and to identify potential solutions that will help keep us safe.
Some 30 million Americans remain uninsured. Would you support or oppose the Affordable Healthcare Act as currently written? Explain why you would support its continuation or what kind of plan, if any, should replace it. (limit 150 words)
Dr. Dena Grayson has dedicated her career to improving people’s health. For nearly a decade, Dr. Grayson treated uninsured patients for free, including performing house calls in Ferguson (Missouri) for free. Dr. Grayson believes that healthcare is a right, not a privilege. People should never be denied treatment just because they cannot afford it. Dr. Grayson supports the Affordable Healthcare Act and will fight so that everyone can see a doctor when sick and get the treatment needed to stay healthy and alive.
1. Expand Medicare: Dr. Grayson will work to expand Medicaid in Florida so that every Floridian has health insurance.
2. Cover All Employees: Every worker deserves health insurance, no matter how much you make. Dr. Grayson will push for all employers to cover all employees, no matter how many hours you work.
3. Medicare For All: Dr. Grayson will fight for the “public option” so that anyone at any age can buy Medicare.
Some presidential candidates have said they would favor getting rid of the U.S. Department of Education. Explain what kind of role you believe the federal government should play in education and what federal education policies you would support or oppose. (limit 150 words)
Dr. Grayson was fortunate to receive a high quality K-12 public school education right here in Central Florida, and was the first woman in her family to graduate from college. She believes that everyone deserves the same chance to achieve the American Dream, regardless of wealth, race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or gender.
In Congress, Dr. Grayson will fight for universal pre-school education for all children. She will fully support the U.S. Department of Education and will fight to ensure its long-term viability. Dr. Grayson will push to significantly increase funding for education, including important programs such as Title I and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). And, she will oppose school voucher programs, which undermine federal education programs by stealing money from our public school system and handing it to for-profit charter school companies. In addition, Dr. Grayson will fight to build more schools in underserved areas that have overcrowding and push for funding to improve our existing school buildings here in Central Florida.
Dr. Grayson believes that the cost of college shouldn’t leave you drowning in debt. In Congress, she will push to provide free tuition at public colleges and universities for all students. And, she will fight to reduce interest rates on student loans and allow existing borrowers to refinance their student debt.
The U.S. debt is approaching $20 trillion, and interest payments on the debt were $223 billion in 2015. What measures would you support to reduce the annual budget deficit that contributes to the national debt? (limit 150 words)
In Congress, Dr. Grayson will fight to reform the tax system to ensure that millionaires and billionaires pay their fair share. She will push to eliminate tax loopholes for the rich by treating all income the same as wages earned by ordinary Americans, so that the wealthiest Americans won’t pay a lower tax rate than middle-class families. Dr. Grayson will work to “scrap the cap” on Social Security taxes for those earning over $118,500, so that everyone pays their fair share, making Social Security solvent forever. And, Dr. Grayson will fight to close corporate tax loopholes that allow companies to move their profits overseas and avoid paying taxes here.
In 2014, the United States led the world in military spending at $610 billion, which equates to 34% of the world’s total. In fact, the U.S. spends more on our military than the 8 next-highest spenders combined. In Congress, Dr. Grayson will work to decrease our military spending and shift these funds towards important domestic programs, such as healthcare, education, and infrastructure.