I attended Valencia Community College until 1981, I have completed several certification programs including training and testing for my Pollutant Storage Contractor’s license and am LEED Green Associate Accredited Professional.
Business Development Consultant
Civic Organizations (limit 75 words)
• Winter Garden Rotary Club (Pops Concert Co-chair)
• Young Fathers of Central Florida
• HapCo Foundation
• Winter Garden Relay for Life
• Orlando Health Central Hospital Women of Influence Advisory Board
• Matthew’s Hope
• Home At Last
• CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women)
• NAIOP (National Association of Industrial and Office Properties)
• Greater Orlando Builders Association (GOBA)
• Urban Land Institute, Women’s Leadership Initiative
• West Orange Chamber of Commerce, Economic and Government Affairs Chair
• Orange County
o Planning and Zoning Board
o Affordable Housing Board
o Membership and Mission Review Board
What are the three top challenges facing the Orange County Commission? Briefly describe how you would address these challenges. (limit 150 words)
1. Schools need to come out of the ground faster in our high growth area, in order to do so I want to tie the impact fees collected for schools to the area where they are collected (we already do so with our transportation impact fees), revisit school siting and sizing to give the schools more flexibility in locating campuses and find a way to allow OCPS to begin the process for a new school much earlier than they are currently allowed so that schools don’t become as overcrowded prior to relief.
2. Bring hi-tech/hi-paying clean jobs to the district so for economic development and independence.
3. Protect a variety of housing options including a good balance of rural and urban. Protect areas with district character so that we don’t lose what makes us unique.
What is your experience working with large budgets, revenue shortfalls, and oversight? (limit 150 words)
As a business development consultant for clients with revenues of $45M I work with each of the client’s divisions as they budget for the coming year. I help project revenue and identify the source of that revenue. We then hold regular budget meetings to determine whether or not we are on track. If there is a shortfall I assist in determining how we will fill that gap, whether with new business and new clients or by making adjustments to staff and spending. As a small business owner I am responsible for my own profit and loss as well.
What are three things “going right” for Orange County? How will you continue forward progress? (limit 150 words)
Orange County balances it’s budget and provides service to the voters of the County. They provide strong oversight to accomplish this goal. The staff is largely highly professional and they work to provide a high level of service to the citizens. The County works hard to identify areas of need and strives to address those needs.