Candidate Name Jim Gray Profile Picture District DISTRICT 1 Educational Background (limit 75 words) Bachelor of Business Administration – Finance , University of Houston, 1982
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker
Veteran, US Air Force
Texas Air National Guard
Current Occupation President, GrayPointe Capital Age 59 Civic Organizations (limit 75 words) Past Community Involvement includes:
Orlando City Commissioner, District 1 – 2012 to present
Executive Committee and BOD – Orlando Economic Partnership
Heart Association of Central Florida
Florida Citrus Sports – BOD
Habitat for Humanity
Member, Willow Creek Presbyterian Church
What are the three top challenges facing the Orlando City Council? Briefly describe how you would address these challenges. (limit 150 words) 1) Make neighborhoods safe.
– My top priority is to continue providing the resources necessary to keep our
neighborhoods safe. As our community continues to grow, I have worked with the
Mayor and the police/fire chiefs to:
• Add 9 additional police officers in 2016 and 15 more officers in 2017, all dedicated
strictly to southeast Orlando.
• Add a new tower fire truck and trained firefighters to provide the best emergency
2) Strengthen and protect our neighborhoods.
I focus on making sure that citizen voices are heard above the big corporations and
special interests. I demand responsible, controlled growth featuring quality design
concepts compatible with existing neighborhoods.
3) Continue attracting jobs.
A key ingredient in the growth of our community will be to continue attracting good paying
jobs, like the one’s being created in Medical City at Lake Nona.
What is your experience working with large budgets, revenue shortfalls, and oversight? (limit 150 words) I use my 35 years in business to bring a common sense approach to City Hall, insisting on fiscally sound budgets and controlling spending. Specifically, I have:
• Spent 17 years with Wachovia Bank managing their real estate, wealth management and
commercial lending efforts, lending over $ 750 million to Bank customers.
• For 12 years I managed three equity funds totaling $40 million dollars.
• Over the last 5 years as Orlando City Commissioner, approve and oversee an annual
operating budget of $1.2 billion.
• Currently own a company overseeing operating budgets for 17 office buildings totaling $35
What are three things “going right” for Orlando? How will you continue forward progress? (limit 150 words) Orlando has earned the reputation as a great place to live, work and play.
• Live – Orlando is a welcoming, inclusive community regardless of one’s background or
beliefs. Our local leaders recognize that our citizens have many more similarities
than differences and work together to solve problems. Unfortunately our
partisan-focused representatives in Washington seem to be doing the exact
• Work – Through a series of public-private partnerships, Orlando continues to attract
national corporations such as KPMG, Nemours Children’s Hospital, and the
USTA. A strong component attracting of these firms is the strong educational
systems offered at colleges like UCF, Rollins, and Valencia.
• Play – Public venues like the Downtown Arena, Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center, the
soccer stadium and a renovated Camping World Stadium expand entertainment
and cultural options for residents to enjoy.
How do you propose to increase civic engagement? (limit 150 words) I will continue to engage with neighbors to seek their input and suggestions by:
• Continuing to attend community, HOA and neighborhood watch meetings to meet and talk
• Publish bi-weekly newsletters and maintaining a City website and facebook page listing
current events and proposed new development projects.
• Require landowners requesting zoning changes to hold a community meeting with
neighbors to explain their development plans.
Campaign Email firstname.lastname@example.org Campaign Website http://www.electjimgray.com Campaign Facebook Jim Gray for Orlando City Commission District 1 Campaign Twitter @JimGrayOrlando Campaign Instagram N/A Campaign Telephone (407) 668-8937